Last year, Puerto Rico was wasted but this time, it is difficult to ignore the enchanted island. The lovely Monic Perez could easily be the next Miss Universe. She is a charmer, can easily draw a lot of attention and her beauty is absolutely stunning. Read our exclusive interview with this wonderful beauty queen.
1. Who do you think is the sexiest man alive?
I have weird taste but to me the sexiest man alive is Robert Downy Jr.! There’s just something about him that makes him irresistible to me.
2. Who is your all-time favorite Miss Universe, why?
I’m proud to say that my country, Puerto Rico, has had 5 Miss Universes in the past. Out of all of them, my favorite would be Denise Quiñones because apart from her undeniable exterior beauty, she has this unique presence and humbleness to her.
3. What is the most difficult thing you did to prepare for the Miss Universe pageant? Why did you do that?
The most difficult thing was maintaining a diet! I really love to eat so having to count your calories and having smaller portions of food is like torture to me! My favorite foods are usually the ones I have to stay away from, like bread, pastas and rice! I’m a total carb lover!
4. What has been the biggest disappointment in your life & how did you deal with it?
During one of my nursing practices, I had an elderly patient with Alzheimer’s disease whom I had to treat. It was very difficult for me to see him not recognize his own wife and family and know that I was incapable of doing something about it. I got very emotional at one point and began to cry, but then I realized that it’s a disease that unfortunately affects many people in their late years and you must come to accept it. I’m hoping that some day we do find a cure for this.
5. Describe your fashion sense & style.
I like to mix it up a bit depending on my mood or what I’m dressing up for. Sometimes you’ll see me dressed elegant chic while other times I like to be comfortable and dress boho chic.
6. What does loving a boyfriend mean to you?
To me, loving anyone means showing them how much you care, listening to them, being there when their mostly in need and doing activities you both enjoy.
7. Any beauty secrets that you would like to share the readers of Missosology?
Sometimes I sleep with preparation H cream underneath my eyes to prevent inflammation in the area. It really works!
8. Tell us about the most beautiful place in your country.
I’m very proud to say that I come from a place of many beautiful attractions (they call Puerto Rico the enchanted island), but one of the most interesting and beautiful places are our Bioluminescent Bays. We posses 3 bioluminescent bays while only 5 exist in the world. Interestingly, it served as inspiration for my National Costume!
9. Tell us about your mantra or secret to success.
Something that has really helped me in reaching my goals is my desire to put my very best effort into everything that I do. I always try to leave everything that I touch better than I originally find it.
10. When was the last time you cried? Why?
I actually cried just a few days ago! With so many things going on lately I can’t help but feel extremely happy and loved by the people around me.
11. What do you like to do for fun with friends?
I love to get in a car with friends and having no destination, just seeing where the day takes us. The most pleasant days with friends are ones you don’t necessarily plan out. I love to be spontaneous!
12. Miss Universe Organization now allows transgenders to compete in their pageant system, what’s your take on this?
I don’t have any problem with the Miss Universe Organization accepting transgendered contestants as long as there is no advantage to being one and all is fair!
13. What would you say to someone who thinks you’re not qualified or pretty enough to represent your country in Miss Universe?
I would tell them to stay tuned on November 9th, 2013!
14. What qualities do you feel you have that would make you a great Miss Universe?
I love adventure and having new experiences. I never imagined I’d end up representing Puerto Rico in the Miss Universe pageant – or even modeling! Life has its weird way of working and this has become my passion. There’s so much more to being Miss Universe than just physical attributes. Being a nurse, I love working and helping others. I would love to be a role model for people all over the world. Traveling, learning about different cultures and working closely with HIV/AIDS would be an amazing experience and the perfect job!
15. Please send your special message to all your Missosology.
Hey Misso fans! The time has come and I can’t even describe how excited I am for these next few weeks. It will be a great adventure and I hope you guys continue to follow my every step and be a part of it with me. Thank you so much for all the love and support! I feel truly blessed! Love you all!